Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Son of Neptune


Author's Note: I chose to write this piece and read the book because I wanted to learn more about Greek and Roman mythology in a non-boring way. I want to point out the ways in Rick Riordan incorporated Romans and Greeks together, and making series within a series. In this analysis I am focusing on content.

In this book, the Son of Neptune, the author combines ancient Greek mythology with modern day life. This is a big part of people loving this series, and the interference with mortals, gods, and demigods is keeps the reader on the edge and makes the character keep reading. The main strong point of the book is its creativity.
In this book, Rick Riordan mixing the races is a fantastic idea. The voice is awesome, and when something bad happens to Percy or some other character, you can feel a deep sense of loss, and your mind feels just like the character's brain. When you get to an exciting part, the book drags you in and you keep reading faster and faster and feel anxiety and your pulse races.

The character personalities in this book is exceedingly creative and varied. The characters in the book have varied personalities, and as the story goes on, it unveils back stories and different aspects of each character.

Another part of the book I liked were the flashbacks. One of the main female characters, the daughter of Pluto, once in a while blacks out and then gives the reader a little bit of a background to help the reader understand the character better. It is a unique way of giving information to the reader without the book just spouting off facts.

Overall, I liked this book a lot, and I would suggest you read it if you like mythology, fighting,  Greece, and Rome. This book's strong points are creativity, voice, and character development.

2 comments:

  1. I was really intrigued after reader your author's note. I was excited to read the in-depth analysis and the content. However, the actual writing itself left me frustrated. I see attempts at making connections beyond the text, but I also see how you've spent too much time summarizing the events of the book. If you need assistance in how to effectively write a literary analysis, come see me.

    In terms of writing, I would ask that you take a look at the writing rubric next to this piece. You will certainly see areas that need adjusting for your next piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the information that you shared here, and the way that you used a voice that was a serious approach to the topic. If I look at your author's note, it seems like the writing piece doesn't really follow the goal you set. You wanted to write about the way the author used Greek and Roman gods, but you forgot to get into that. Make sure when you put together the piece, you have your thoughts together; that's basically pre-writing. Did you pre-write before drafting? I would recommend doing so next time. What you have here is good, but it seems like you sort of just wrote on the spur of things.

    ReplyDelete